Have you just turned 17, and are you now ready to make some money? Searching for vacancies is a good way to start. If you’re looking for jobs for 17-year-olds, you need not look any further because Jobbird has plenty of opportunities for you. Whether you’re looking for full-time work, want to work part-time after school or are just looking for a job to get through the summer: you name it, we’ve got it.
At 17, you’re nearly an adult (by law), so it’s common to have questions. Now you may be wondering about some things, like how much can you work at 17? Are there any jobs for 17-year-olds with no experience? And where can you find the best jobs for 17-year-olds? We’re here to help. On this page, you’ll find all the information you need about jobs for 17-year-olds.
What are the rules about hours and work for 17-year-olds?
Even though at 17 you’re allowed to leave school, you still have to be in some form of training or part-time education, such as an apprenticeship or part-time degree. Technically, you could still work full-time at 17, but you’d have to do this on top of part-time education. You could also choose to do an apprenticeship, which would allow you to work and learn at the same time, and you’ll be paid wages.
Of course, you may be doing a full time college course, in which case you’d probably only want to look at part-time jobs for 17-year-olds. There are plenty of flexible jobs for 17-year-olds that allow you to work around your class schedule. Do you need some inspiration for job types or just want to know what the best jobs for 17-year-olds are? Take a look at our vacancies to see what we have to offer.
Part-time jobs for 17-year-olds
Life can get pretty busy when you’re 17. Maintaining a social life, college (or an apprenticeship), hobby’s… that doesn’t always leave a lot of time for work. Thankfully, there are plenty of part-time jobs for 17-year-olds that you can easily combine with everything else you’ve got going on. You could get a job in the early mornings, go to work after school or look for weekend jobs for 17-year-olds. You can do most jobs on a part-time basis, so the options are endless. Some examples of part-time work for 17-year-olds are:
- Online jobs for 17-year-olds. You can fill in surveys or write reviews for cash, or you could work from home in customer service.
- Jobs as a baby- or dog sitter. If you’re looking for a flexible job with a lot of independence, you could work as a babysitter, dog sitter or dog walker. You can choose your own clients and decide your own hours.
- NHS jobs for 17-year-olds. If you’re interested in going into the medical field, you may want to start getting some experience at 17. You could do an apprenticeship or get a part-time job in a hospital, like in the cafeteria.
- Jobs in retail. There are tons of retail jobs for 17-year-olds. Work as a salesperson in your favourite clothes shop, as a cashier in the local grocery store or any other store you can think of.
- A newspaper route. If you don’t like sitting still, this is another job with lots of freedom. The only catch? You’re gonna have to get up pretty early for this one.
- Work in a restaurant or café. If you enjoy being around people and don’t mind the hustle and bustle of service, you could work as a waiter, busboy/-girl or dishwasher.
- Warehouse jobs for 17-year-olds. If the thought of sitting behind a desk all day makes your skin crawl, you could get a more active job. If you work in a warehouse, chances are you’ll be on the move most of the day, checking and unboxing inventory and putting together orders.
Of course, there are many other jobs for 17-year-olds. Curious about the different options? Have a look at our vacancies.
Jobs for 17-year-olds with no experience
Looking for a job, but haven’t got a lot of experience to put on your CV? No worries, most employees don’t expect 17-year-olds to have tons of work experience. That’s why you’ll find plenty of jobs for 17-year-olds that don’t require any experience.
You can, however, add different types of experience to your CV. Think of work experience, internships or courses. Need some help making a CV? Use our CV maker, and you’ll have a professional CV in no time.
The 10 best online jobs for 17-year-olds
If you want to work from the comfort of your own home, you could go for an online job for 17-year-olds. Most of these jobs are super flexible, and you can decide your own hours. Need some inspiration? Here are the 10 best online jobs for 17-year-olds.
- Get paid to do online surveys
- Watch ads for money
- Get paid to review music
- Data entry
- Online tutoring
- Work as a customer service representative
- Proofread other people’s work
- Test websites
- Become a virtual assistant
Apprenticeships for 17-year-olds
If you don’t want to stay in (part-time) education, you could choose to do a traineeship or apprenticeship for 17-year-olds instead. This way you’re still legally in education, but you get to work while you learn, and with an apprenticeship, you get paid wages all the while.
There are many different types of apprenticeships available on different levels and in all kinds of jobs and sectors. Do you already know what career path you want to follow? Or are you curious to see if a particular job suits you? Then an apprenticeship for 17-year-olds could be the ideal way to learn more about the job and gain relevant knowledge and experience. That’s why, between all our jobs for 17-year-olds, you’ll also find plenty of apprenticeship vacancies.
What’s the best way to find a job for 17-year-olds?
If you’re looking for jobs for 17-year-olds, the best place to start is right here. When you create a Jobbird account, you can upload or create your CV, making applying to jobs even easier. You can also sign up for a specific email alert, that way we can keep you updated on the latest vacancies for jobs for 17-year-olds that may be interesting to you.